There are lots of activities around Azoia. These are just a few of our favorites:
● O Carlos In our view one of the best in the area. The owner is a fish connoisseur and will always suggest the best catch of the day. Don’t miss the clam rice.
● Onda Azul Another favorite of ours. This restaurant is on the beach. No frills, just excellent food and location.
● Bar do Peixe Right next to Onda Azul on the beach. More upscale, equally amazing food and location (check out their website). Sunset terrace / bar.
● Pizza na Praia Good pizza, close to home, they delivery at the beach too!
Beaches The beaches we use really depend on the weather and the wind. The access to some beaches are only by boat from the port in Sesimbra. Some of the beaches are well known nudist beaches if you walk a little to the right or left from where most families are (e.g. Meco, Bicas).
● Praia do Meco This is the main (lifeguarded) beach we use, it’s a 10m drive and has paid parking.
● Praia da Foz This is our “home” beach, it’s a 5m drive and 30m walk. It’s a lot wilder (no lifeguard) but we find the setting and the sea simply amazing.
● Praia da Lagoa de Albufeira A great (lifeguarded) beach, at a 15m drive, that has a large lagoon with very calm and shallow water (perfect for kids) as well as an ocean front. This is where you find the Surf/SUP/Kitesurf center.
● Praia das Bicas Beautiful (lifeguarded) beach accessed by wooden stairs.
● Prainha, Praia do Ouro, Praia da California These 3 contiguous urban (lifeguarded) beaches in Sesimbra are good places to go off season or when there is a strong Northerly wind.
● Praia do Rio de Prata Portugal has a relaxed attitude to nudism on its beaches. As such there are many spots along the Portuguese coast where naturism is practiced. This long stretch of sandy beach, away from urban areas, is known for just that. Clay from its cliffs is used for covering the skin, perfect for exfoliating and treating bites and dry skin conditions.
● Golf There are lots of place to golf in Portugal, the closest are located in:
Aroeira (40m): https://golfinportugal.com/aroeira/
Quinta do Peru (30m): https://golfinportugal.com/quintadoperu/
● Horse riding: Book rides on the beach and around the area with We Love Horses Meco or Horse Tour Sesimbra
● Meira Pro Center Right by the lagoon beach Praia da Lagoa de Albufeira you will find a great place for anything on the water, SUP, Windsurf, Kitesurf, Surf and Kayak tours.
● Bolhas Diving, fishing, dolphin watching and boat tours that can drop you off at some of the boat-only beaches
● Paragliding Fly over the cliffs and beaches
● Birdwatching – Lagoa Pequena (wetland – protected area), Cabo Espichel (migration). The “Espaço Interpretativo da Lagoa Pequena” is open for visits and organizes guided tours.
● The medieval castle of Sesimbra stands in a dominant position on a cliff, over a cove which constitutes a natural. It was built on a site occupied in prehistoric times. In the 9th century it was a Muslim settlement during the period of Muslim occupation of Iberia, and in 1165 it was conquered by D. Afonso Henriques, the first King of Portugal.
● The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Cape Espichel is one of the most impressive sites in this region for its location and its remarkable natural architectural complex. Its worship dates back to 1410, when the venerated image of Our Lady of the Cape was discovered at the tip of Cape Espichel by two old men who were given signs from Heaven in coinciding dreams. Until the start of the 18th century, the grounds around the primitive temple were encased by houses for the pilgrims who travelled there in pilgrimage to venerate the image.
● There are more than 600 fossilized dinosaur footprints made 129 million years ago. It is not possible to attribute the footprints to specific dinosaurs, but it is clear that they belong to theropods – carnivores with three fingers – and sauropods and ornithopods – normally herbivores – with medium and large dimensions.
● This region is known for its bread and is filled with windmills. With a century of history, Sampaio Milling is a milestone in the industrial and technological development of the municipality. A white rectangular building with reddish doors, it was initially used as stable and later adapted for milling grain which arrived from all over the region. –
● How Sesimbra’s fishermen travelled, their devotion to the sea and seafaring, the various fishing gear and King D. Carlos are some of the subject areas that occupy the various areas of the Maritime Museum. Its located in the 16th century Santiago Fortress.